The FW de Klerk Foundation was established in 2000 and aims to promote peace in multi-community states. Due to the relevance of its role and the achievements of former President F W de Klerk, the Foundation is well positioned to play a catalytic role in South Africa, Africa and the world in working for harmonious relations between ethnic, cultural, linguistic and religious communities in multi-community societies. The Foundation’s approach is determined by the following guidelines:
- The Foundation has no party affiliation but is rooted in the values enshrined in the South African Constitution; multiparty democracy; and free market principles.
- It endeavours to maintain cordial relations with government; community and business leaders; and with all political parties.
- The Foundation initiates and participates in programmes and activities inside and outside South Africa.
- Instead of creating its own costly infrastructure, the Foundation facilitates and supports initiatives by other organisations that share its objectives.
- The Foundation raises funds from South African and international sources.
- It ensures strict financial control through the involvement of international accountants.
The Foundation is chaired by former President F W de Klerk and operates under Executive Director Dave Steward and a small staff. Various business, cultural and community leaders have joined the Board of the Foundation.